Friday 25 May 2012

[Everything doTERRA] Re: Homemade Lip Balm Recipe

Suzy,
Thank you for including your recipe. You are awesome!
Lisa

On May 24, 8:36 am, Suzy Howard <suzyqhow...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I made 400 tins of lip balm this week.  I had purchased all the supplies and had them ready to go and doTERRA came out with one!  The homemade lip balm turned out fantastic after tinkering with the recipe a bit.  The original recipe I found called for honey, and every batch I made with the honey was a bit of a disaster.  The honey separates no matter how much you stir it, and it wouldn't set up at all.  We had to scoop all the ones with honey in them out and toss the contents, wash the tins and re-pour.  I also halved the amount of honey for a couple of batches and still had the same problem.  After that, I skipped the honey all together and they turned out great.  I am planning to give each of my IPC's a tin of the lip balm at our first annual summer get together this July.  I still need to make some cute labels for them, but I am happy with the way they turned out.  So this forum won't get inundated with requests for the recipe, here it is.
>
> Supplies:
> Sweet Almond Oil  (I ordered from Amazon, and later found it less expensive at my Natural Grocers).
> Jojoba Oil              (I ordered from Amazon, and later found it less expensive at my Natural Grocers).
> Yellow Beeswax Pellets    (I ordered from Amazon, and forgot to check at my Natural Grocers).
> Vitamin E (Drops are best, trust me, I got capsules and had to squeeze them with pliers. Very messy).
> Essential oils of your choice
> Tins or Lip balm containers of your choice. (I got 1/2 oz. tins from EBK containers for a very reasonable price. They were much less expensive then the chapstick type tubes from aromatools).  Place waxed paper on a cookie sheet and your tins on top of that for ease of use.
>
> Wooden skewers or dowels worked best for stirring the balm and kept the buildup of wax to a minimum, unlike the wooden spoon I started with.
> 2 Liquid 1 cup measuring cups and several Tbsp size measuring spoons.
>
> You will need a clean dry quart jar, and pan of warm water on medium to low heat.  When the water is close to a boil, turn the heat down and place the jar containing 1/2 cup of Sweet Almond oil, 2 Tbsp. of Jojoba oil and the 2 Tbsp. of beeswax pellets into the water.   Do not heat the mixture directly in your pan.  This acts as a double boiler and you won't ruin your pan. Stir with the wooden skewer or dowel.  Once your wax mixture is melted, add about 25 drops of Vitamin E.  Mix it in and remove from heat.  Be very careful with the glass jar, because it is very hot!  At this point you need to be quick.  Add 25 drops of essential oil, (I used 15 peppermint and 10 Wild Orange).   Stir completely and pour into a glass measuring cup with a pour spout, only fill it about halfway because the fuller the cup, the harder it is to pour into the tins.  Fill your tins and refill your pouring cup with the remainder of the balm and pour again.  I heated
>  the measuring cup in the microwave for about 20 seconds to melt of the wax buildup and poured it as well.  This recipe makes about 16 1/2 oz. tins.  If you use the chapstick containers, you will need at least double that amount. I made all double batches with no problems unless you count the fiasco with the honey.  If you are determined to use honey, add it in with the Vitamin E, 2 Tbsp. per batch.
>
> Suzy www.mydoterra.com/suzyhoward
>
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________
>  From: "steu...@yahoo.com" <steu...@yahoo.com>
> To: everythingdoterra@googlegroups.com
> Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2012 8:40 AM
> Subject: Re: [Everything doTERRA] Lip Balm
>
> Make your own Elaine. I will be doing this soon myself. Just need a few more things.
>
> Sent from my Verizon Wireless Droid
>
>
>
>
>
> -----Original message-----
>
> From: Elaine <emailbyela...@gmail.com>
> >To: everythingdoterra@googlegroups.com
> >Sent: Thu, May 24, 2012 14:31:38 GMT+00:00
> >Subject: [Everything doTERRA] Lip Balm
>
> >Is the new lip balm all sold out already?
>
> >I had two in my LR order, but when I went in Tuesday to update it, they were gone.  I tried to find them on the order form, and they were gone!
>
> >I am hoping that if the lip balm is popular enough, they'll make it a permanent item rather than "limited time only".
> --
> >You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> >Groups "Everything doTERRA" group.
> >To post to this group, send email to everythingdoterra@googlegroups.com
> >To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> >everythingdoterra+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
> >For more options, visit this group at
> >http://www.everythingdoterra.com
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "Everything doTERRA" group.
> To post to this group, send email to everythingdoterra@googlegroups.com
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> everythingdoterra+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
> For more options, visit this group athttp://www.everythingdoterra.com- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Everything doTERRA" group.
To post to this group, send email to everythingdoterra@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
everythingdoterra+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://www.everythingdoterra.com

No comments:

Post a Comment